Celebrating SuXXess


Women in the mining
Industry goes beyond the mine

There is more room for
Gender balance on the mining

Eldorado Gold, Employees, Governance is celebrating women in the mining industry goes beyond the mine site. “Here at Eldorado, to we have female lawyers, accountants, support staff, communications professionals, community relations coordinators, health & safety professionals, in additional to females in operational roles as a part of our team” says Eldorado Gold officially.

In our first post in the series, Celebrating SuXXess, we spoke to Sara Pednault, a junior production engineer at our Lamaque mine in Quebec. Today we dig deeper with Melanie Jang, an accountant at our corporate office to get her thoughts on the industry, and what has influenced her.

Melanie Jang-Mel, an Accountant at Eldorado Gold says, in the field of accounting, mining is one of the most complex industries to work in. As a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) candidate, I saw the opportunities and challenges in finance within the mining industry and knew that Eldorado would be a great place to start and build my career.

My CPA mentor, Fabiana Chubbs, has provided me with invaluable guidance on how I can develop my professional and technical skills to fulfill my CPA curriculum requirements and reach my full potential as a future CPA. I would also like to mention my colleagues, Claudia Osmond and Charlie Parker, as they have provided me with the day-to-day training and coaching necessary to develop my understanding of Eldorado’s accounting processes and how they impact its financial results.

Women have established equal representation in finance roles at mining companies over the years, but I believe there is more room for gender balance on the mining operations side. Women should be encouraged to pursue their interests in engineering, geology, and the sciences to attain higher education in these fields. It is important for companies to recruit female candidates for all roles across the organization and provide opportunities and mentorship to females to help them excel in their careers.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AI, virtual reality & big data impacts on industry

BFC & Pandora announce the fashion awards

GJEPC championing talent, celebrate design & craftsmanship